Friday, October 22, 2010

Late Bloomers

Prodigies are sexy.

Full of potential and talent, they rock the world for a few years, make a dramatic exit, and leave a legacy.














After being slightly sickened by my own post yesterday (where I was talking about the success of the xx, who are all 20 years old), I decided to look to the old-timers to see if there was hope for me (I'm 28).

Typing "late bloomers" into Google yielded some reassuring results:

  • Verdi composed Ave Maria at age 85.
  • Harlan Sanders started Kentucky Fried Chicken at 65.
  • Ronald Reagan didn't get into politics until he was 55.
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder (author of Little House on the Prairie) published her first book in her 60s.
  • Rodney Dangerfield didn't start doing comedy until he was 45.
  • Cezanne's most highly prized paintings were done in his 60s.
  • Alfred Hitchcock's best films, including Vertigo and Psycho, were done in his late 50s and early 60s.
  • And best of all - Leonard Cohen did not begin his music career until he was 32!
Time to embrace the Zimmer frame!

3 comments:

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I enjoyed the list, Yolanda. My new motto may be, "Late-bloomers Unite!"

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

I am 48, that is an inspiring motivation....
Too many a times, there are news about young millionaires after the internet boom!

Yes, "Late-bloomers Unite!"...
Wong

Yolanda Barker said...

Thanks for your comments guys!

Yola

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...